While this is a competency required for several of the other professional profiles (see project leader), project evaluation can be a profession as such. Specialists in this function generally work for a consultancy company or as individual consultant: they respond to organisations which may wish to assess their programmes, or the programmes they finance, by an external expert.
- Responds to organisations launching call for experts;
- Negotiates the realisation of the service;
- Organises her/his work to perform the evaluation in the negotiated framework;
- Organises data collection on the field and interviews of stakeholders;
- process information and organise conclusions;
- Communicates about the results by all kinds of agreed means.